The Constituent Assembly of the
May 1st Labor Union
2018, May 1st,
ARTICLES OF ASSOCIATION OF THE MAY 1st LABOR UNION (G1PS)
1.1. May 1st Labor Union (hereafter G1PS) is a voluntary, independent and autonomous organization operating on a territorial basis, representing the labor, economic and social rights and interests of its members;
1.2. The location of the G1PS headquarters is decided by the Council.
1.3. G1PS labor union is a legal entity; according to the procedure established by the law, it has its checking account(-s) at a bank(-s) and a seal, which must include the text “G1PS Labor Union”;
1.4. In its activities, the G1PS labor union shall function in compliance with the laws of the Republic of Lithuania, these Articles of Association, and other normative legal acts in force in the Republic of Lithuania;
1.5. G1PS labor union may cooperate with other trade unions, social movements and organizations operating in the Republic of Lithuania or abroad;
1.6. The duration of the activity of the G1PS labor union is unlimited.
- 2.1. [The goals of the] G1PS labor union’s activities are:
- 2.1.1 to strive for better working conditions for the members of the labor union and other workers;
- 2.1.1. to represent its members in their relations with employers, national public authorities and various organizations;
- 2.1.3. to cooperate with labor unions in the Republic of Lithuania and abroad;
- 2.1.4. to participate in resolving disputes with employers;
- 2.1.5. to organize, according to the procedure established by law, negotiations, pickets, rallies, strikes and other actions to protect the rights and interests of its members. To support actions organized by other labor unions or social movements in line with the G1PS labor union’s provisions and members’ interests;
- 2.1.6. to organize education for its members;
- 2.1.7. to conclude collective agreements and other mutual agreements with employers, their organizations and associations on work, pay, work organization, employee safety in the workplace, working and rest time and other socioeconomic conditions;
- 2.1.8. to control how employers implement labor, economic and social laws, collective agreements and other mutual agreements, related to the rights and interests of the members of the G1PS labor union;
- 2.1.9. to control collective agreements and other mutual agreements with employers, their organizations and associations, State and municipal institutions regarding work, pay, work organization, employee safety in the workplace, working and rest time and other socioeconomic conditions;
- 2.1.10. to control the legality of dismissals from work; where possible, to render material and/or other assistance for members;
- 2.1.11. have the right to receive information on the socioeconomic situation of employees from State and municipal institutions;
- 2.1.12 according to the procedure established by these Articles of Association, to consult members of the G1PS labor union for free. The procedure for the representation of the members of the G1PS labor union in the courts and companies, institutions and organizations is set by the Council;
- 2.1.13. to organize information centers, work, training and other clubs, organize lecture cycles, courses, conferences, etc.
- 2.1.14. to organize publishing activities, publish various educational, methodical tools;
2.1.15. to receive and give charity and assistance.
- 3.1. Members of the G1PS labor union may be persons no younger than 14 years old, who pay the membership fee, as well as other legal entities engaged in labor union activities, and separate formations;
- 3.2. Employers and their authorized representatives may not be members of the G1PS labor union;
- 3.3. Subdivisions of G1PS – labor unions operating in companies, that are not legal entities, acting according to the G1PS Articles of Association, with their own elected governing bodies and established headquarters;
- 3.4. Natural persons may join the G1PS labor union by submitting a request and pledging to comply with the G1PS Articles of Association and to pay the membership fee. Legal entities may join the G1PS labor union by submitting a request, minutes of its meeting, a list of members and a pledge to comply with the G1PS Articles of Association. In some cases, the G1PS membership of certain natural persons and legal entities may be discussed in a G1PS Council meeting.
- 3.5. No member of the G1PS labor union may be not accepted or dismissed from the G1PS labor union on the basis of race, ethnicity, origin, sex/gender, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation or other non-economic criteria, except when an individual’s personal activities are harmful to solidarity or do not coincide with the provisions and principles of G1PS.
RIGHTS AND DUTIES OF THE MEMBERS
- 4.1. Member’s rights:
- 4.1.1. to participate in the activities of the organization;
- 4.1.2. to demand the defense of their legitimate interests related to work, assistance and solidarity;
- 4.1.3. to obtain the necessary information;
- 4.1.4. to participate in the elections and be elected;
- 4.1.5. to participate in meetings and assemblies in accordance with the established procedure;
- 4.1.6. to contact G1PS with regards to all labor issues, in the event of a breach of labor and other laws or collective agreements by the employer;
- 4.1.7. to submit proposals regarding the improvement of activities;
- 4.1.8. to leave G1PS.
- 4.2. Member’s duties:
- 4.2.1. to abide by these Articles of Association;
- 4.2.2. to pay the membership fee;
- 4.2.3. to show solidarity and defend the interests of other members;
- 4.2.4. Upon termination of employment on any basis, to notify the G1PS Council. In the event of a change in employment status, membership shall not be terminated provided it complies with section 3.2. of these Articles of Association.
- 4.2.5. To inform the Council of the G1PS labor union after becoming a member of another labor union or political party.
- 4.3. Membership fee:
- 4.3.1. G1PS monthly membership fee is 1 percent of income;
- 4.3.2. a membership fee is paid for the previous month and must be paid until the end of the current month;
- 4.3.3. a membership fee may be paid either via bank transfer or in cash.
- 4.3.4. the G1PS Council, taking into consideration the material situation of a member, may exempt them from paying the membership fee for a certain amount of time;
- 4.3.5. membership fee is not returned to persons who quit G1PS or are dismissed from it.
- 4.4. G1PS membership ends:
- 4.4.1. upon submitting a written request to quit G1PS
- 4.4.2. after being dismissed from G1PS:
- 184.108.40.206. a member of G1PS may be dismissed from G1PS for failure to comply with the obligations set out in these Articles of Association;
- 220.127.116.11. the issue of dismissal from G1PS is decided by the Council.
- 18.104.22.168. A member who has not paid a membership fee for three months and has not applied for an exemption from paying a membership fee, loses their G1PS membership rights, set out in Article 4.1., as well as their voting rights if they had been elected to the governing bodies;
- 22.214.171.124. Individuals dismissed from G1PS may be reinstated upon request and with the agreement of the G1PS Council.
GOVERNING BODIES OF THE G1PS LABOR UNION
- 5.1. G1PS governing bodies are the General Meeting, the Council and the Chairperson.
- 5.2. The highest G1PS governing body is the General Meeting of G1PS members.
- 5.3. Between General Meetings, the Council may preside over G1PS activities.
- 5.4. The treasurer’s duties may be executed by a person confirmed by the General Meeting upon nomination by the Council.
COMPETENCE OF A GENERAL MEETING, PROCEDURE OF CONVOCATION AND ADOPTION OF DECISIONS
- 6.1. The General Meeting shall be convened at least once every year.
- 6.2. Members shall be notified about the forthcoming Meeting at least two weeks in advance.
- 6.3. G1PS members shall submit the questions to be discussed at the meeting to the Council at least 7 calendar days before the beginning of the General Meeting.
- 6.4. The agenda of the General Meeting shall be drawn up by the G1PS Council and approved by the General Meeting by a simple majority of participants.
- 6.5. Additional questions may be included in the agenda by a ⅔ majority of participants.
- 6.6. An extraordinary meeting may be requested by the G1PS Council, upon the request of at least 2/3 of the members of the Council no later than 5 calendar days in advance.
- 6.7. A General Meeting is deemed legitimate if no less than ½ of all members participate.
- 6.8. Resolutions of the General Meeting shall be deemed adopted if at least ½ of all the participants of the Meeting have voted for them; regarding a decision to liquidate the labor union – if at least ⅘ of all participants of the General Meeting have voted for it.
- 6.9. If the General Meeting is not held, the Meeting is convened again no earlier than in 5 days and no later than within 15 days, and is considered legitimate regardless of the number of participants.
- 6.10. Competences of the General Meeting:
- 6.10.1. Determines the core activities of G1PS, adopts and modifies the Articles of Association, elects the G1PS Council, Audit Commission and the Chairperson;
- 6.10.2. determines the number of members of the Council;
- 6.10.3. hears the report of the members of the Council and evaluates their work;
- 6.10.4. determines the membership fee, approves G1PS financial indicators according to the report submitted by the Council;
- 6.10.5. approves the Treasurer;
- 6.10.6. deals with issues related to the reorganization, liquidation of G1PS and the transfer of related assets.
- 6.10.7. amends and revises the G1PS Articles of Association;
- 6.10.8. adopts other resolutions related to G1PS activities.
- 7.1. Members of the Council are elected by the General Meeting for a 1-year term. The Council shall consist of at least 5 members. The Council, in accordance with the Articles of Association, implements the program and the resolutions of the General Meeting;
- 7.2. establishes quotas of representation and organizes the G1PS General Meeting, where it reports on the work done;
- 7.3. Approves estimates of G1PS revenue and expenditure and controls their implementation;
- 7.4. Makes decisions concerning the unification of G1PS, the establishment of relations with other labor unions, social movements operating in the Republic of Lithuania, organizations from the Republic of Lithuania and other countries;
- 7.5. Establishes the number, positions, and wages of G1PS employees under employment contracts;
- 7.6. Delegates members of the trade union to represent the trade union in the public sphere;
- 7.7. Establishes a strike committee if the decision to strike had been adopted by a trade union committee operating in the company;
- 7.8. Meetings of the Council shall be convened, if necessary, after having notified all members of the Council at least 5 calendar days in advance, or according to a predetermined schedule, but no less often than once a quarter. A meeting of the Council is deemed legitimate if at least half of the members of the Council are present. Council resolutions shall be deemed adopted if at least 2/3 of the participants of the meeting vote in favor of them.
- 7.9. Members of the G1PS Council may resign upon submitting a written request to the G1PS Council. A request for resignation shall be submitted to the Council no later than 7 calendar days before resignation. Upon receiving the resignation of a member of the Council, the Council shall appoint a member of the G1PS labor union to serve temporarily as a member of the Council until the next General Meeting.
- 8. The Chairperson of G1PS is elected by the General Meeting by a 2/3 majority of participants for a 1-year term. The Chairperson of G1PS is a member of the G1PS Council.
- 8.1. represents G1PS in all State and municipal institutions;
- 8.2. represents G1PS in courts;
- 8.3. signs agreements and contracts on behalf of G1PS;
- 8.4. the Chairperson of G1PS may be recalled by a 2/3 majority of the members of the Council; the Council shall then convene the General Meeting no later than 7 calendar days after the Chairperson is recalled. Until the General Meeting, the Interim Chairperson appointed by the Council shall carry out the duties of the Chairperson.
- 8.5. the Chairperson of G1PS may resign by submitting a written request to the G1PS Council. A request for resignation shall be submitted to the Council no later than 7 calendar days before resignation. Upon the resignation of the Chairperson, the Council shall convene the General Meeting no later than within 7 calendar days. Until the General Meeting, the Interim Chairperson appointed by the Council shall carry out the duties of the Chairperson.
FUNDS AND PROPERTY OF THE G1PS LABOR UNION
- 9. The funds of G1PS consist of:
- 9.1. membership fees;
- 9.2. contributions from companies, institutions and organizations;
- 9.3. support from Lithuanian and foreign natural persons and legal entities;
- 9.4. funding from European Union projects and EU funds;
- 9.5. other legally earned income.
- 9.6. G1PS, its alliances and divisions may have movable and immovable property necessary for achieving the objectives set forth in these Articles of Association.
- 9.7. Once paid, membership fees become the property of G1PS and are non-refundable.
INSPECTION OF G1PS FINANCIAL-ECONOMIC ACTIVITY
- 10.1. Inspection of G1PS financial – economic activity is conducted by the Audit Commission;
- 10.2. G1PS Audit Commission consists of at least 2 members elected by the General Meeting for a 6 month term, for a maximum of two consecutive terms;
- 10.3. The Audit Commission is entitled to receive all of the G1PS financial documents, minutes of the General Meeting and Council meetings, G1PS letters, signed agreements and contracts;
- 10.4. At least once every six months, the commission draws up audit acts and submits them to the Council;
- 10.5. The Audit Commission reports to the G1PS General Meeting;
- 10.6. Members of the G1PS Audit Commission may resign by submitting a written request to the G1PS Council. A request for resignation shall be submitted to the Council at least 7 calendar days before resignation. Until the vote by the General Meeting, the duties of the members of the G1PS Audit Commission shall be carried out by interim members of the Audit Commission, appointed by the Council.
PROCEDURE FOR SUSPENSION AND TERMINATION OF G1PS LABOR UNION’S ACTIVITIES
- 11.1. G1PS activities are terminated by the decision of the G1PS Trade Union General Meeting;
- 11.2. G1PS activities may be suspended or terminated by a court decision;
- 11.3. Upon the termination of the G1PS activity, the use of funds held by the trade union shall be decided by the Liquidation Commission appointed by the G1PS General Meeting.
- 12.1. The G1PS Articles of Association shall come into force on the date of their approval at the General Meeting;
- 12.2. Information about the most important G1PS events is published in the daily newspaper “Kauno diena”.